All Five!

All Five!
Jason, Kristy, Jackson, Brynlee and Baby Weston.

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Finally at peace...







Any parent will know just what I'm talking about. That moment when the house is finally quiet...the last story has been read, the last prayer has been said, the last sip of milk has been sipped, the last trip to the bathroom has been taken and the last "mommy, I want a kiss" has been cried. Finally at peace.
Granted, I'm too exhausted to enjoy that peace for too long or there are so many chores to be done that I rarely just rest and enjoy the peace. But on those rare evenings when I think to enjoy that peace, after a few minutes of silence, I slip into their bedrooms, careful to be very very quiet. There are few more beautiful things in the world than a sleeping child. Weston is usually either sprawled out across the entire crib, or he pulls his knees up under him with his bum up in the air. So cute. Brynlee always goes to sleep in pajamas and within minutes of being alone in her room, she has stripped into as little clothing as possible...every night. Her hair is everywhere and her mouth is usually open. She's not a big sleeper but when she sleeps, it's serious business. And finally there is Jackson. He never really acquired a baby blanket, although he has a special one that was quilted by Aunt Nanny. Instead, he adopted a liking for afghans...any kind really. They just have to have the frill on the ends. He likes to bunch a few of them together and stuff them in his ear...I know, odd. One of those childhood idiosyncrasies that I wanted to write down before I forget. These little details about childhood are soon forgotten as they grow out of their blankies (or Kekes as Weston calls them), stop sucking their thumbs and refuse those good night kisses. Time passes so quickly and once in a while I just have to stop and enjoy the peace. Finally at peace.

1 comment:

Sherrie Bossart said...

That was really sweet. I can just picture all three of them sound asleep. They are cuties.